Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rossin Wood, The Icon. (SPE-370)

Today, my professor asked us all to decide on an icon or image that would best describe ourselves, and at first I thought,

"Pft. Piece of cake!"

But let's face it. This is difficult... Least to say, after a long search through Google's infinite database of images, I decided on this.

Production still from "Big Combo" (1955).
As the caption states, it's a still frame from the famous 1955 motion picture titled, "Big Combo" starring Cornel Wilde, Ricard Conte, and Brian Donlevy. It's a good movie, if you're interested, but that's a story for another time. I now have to rationalize why I choose this picture.

Film noir lighting at its best.
First off, the image let's everyone know how much motion pictures mean to me. Ever since I was a child I loved going to the movies, where a daring car chase and a thrilling shoot-out are always possible. It was a world that kept me on the edge of my seat and hanging on the characters every word. One day I hope I can pay it forward, and make movies of the same caliber that enchanted me as I grew up. What made me choose this movie still, instead of any other, is the fact that it presents my favorite cinematic style -- film noir. Those artsy black-and-white movies where every thing is in shadows and contrasted by islands of beautifully lit actors and actresses. Detectives languishing in their offices wearing iconic 40's threads and illuminated only by long bars of light casting through Venetian blinds. "Big Combo" is the film people think of when someone mentions film noir, and it's all thanks to legendary cinematographer, John Alton. He's a genius, and I can only hope to aspire to his level of skill.

Besides me being an avid film connoisseur, I love this image because it's moody -- kind of like me. It's mysterious and leaves the viewer wondering,

"What's beyond the fog? Are they in danger, or safe?"

Basically it's iconic, and reminds me everyday why I love cinematography so much.

1 comment:

  1. Ross -- I really like the way this essay reflects your passion (and I share your film noir affinity; I even own a fedora, but no woman can wear one like Bacall). For next time: work on incorporating more of what we've learned in class about symbols, iconicity, semiotics and so on. Think of all the other ways your icon might be interpreted in other contexts, other cultures. You chose it to represent you. Think about the slippery nature of the meaning(s) of visual artifacts.

    ReplyDelete