Friday, September 16, 2011

A picture that defines me?

Hmm, so let me set this one up before I begin to ramble, because as you may have noticed, I tend to do this on a keyboard.

My fear.
My professor asked me to post a picture online that best defined me, and to tell the truth, it has been eating away at me since the project was assigned. It seemed so simple at first. All she needed was a picture, but then I started to think... What if it's stupid? What if she looks at it and thinks, "This is what he picked?" and shows everyone on campus? What if, she makes a giant billboard of it and hangs it outside my apartment?! By then I was scouring the web for something clever and witty, and no matter how many pictures I saved I ended up "trashing" them all.

I leaped onto my bed and buried my face in the pillow -- defeated. My roommate walked by my door and leaned his head in asking me what my problem was. Muffled by the pillow I managed to explain my dire situation. While he sipped his coffee he nonchalantly replied,

"Just write down everything you like and pick the best one."

Capital idea! I shooed him off, and began to pencil down a laundry list of things I liked. Everything from film making to drawing, and even string cheese made it onto my list (...my favorite snack, don't judge). I then began the painstaking process of crossing off the ones that didn't think make the cut until I was left with one word. Ladies and gentlemen, the word was: comics.

And if you ask anyone, hands down, my favorite comic is 'Scott Pilgrim.' It is the holiest of comics in my mind, and still makes me 'LOL' when I read it. So, I chose this page out of this priceless relic to define me.

I was going to actually post it here, but thought it was best to hyperlink as I did above. The dynamic style it's drawn in, the nerdy humor, everything about it makes me smile. The character "Scott Pilgrim" expresses my online persona to the letter -- a quirky kid who's not afraid to be the nerd he is! Hence, my blog.

I also enjoy drawing, and if you're lucky maybe I'll post some of it... including my self-portrait done in the 'Scott Pilgrim' style. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. OK, Scott Pilgrim -- first of all, you need to take visual rhetoric with me when I can next teach it, because I use a textbook about comics. Second, please think about part two of the assignment: "Discuss who you are on line and compare and contrast your online persona with your "real life" persona." Why do you want the folks online to know you this particular way?

    ReplyDelete